Skip to main content

Crazy Idea #20

The Robinsons are restless.

Beneath the calm, sleepy surface, dreams are brewing.

They always draw us away from where we are, our friends, our home and launch us into the exciting. The unknown.

In days gone past we would relish these dreams, pinning our hopes upon them like children.
We would ride each wave and cry out as they tumbled down. We pined for city streets and new scenes, skyscrapers and aeroplanes.

We yearn for greatness, to build our walls high, to extend the vineyard. But a part of me wants to cower under the covers, return to slumber and wait for all of this to blow over. Waking up, I want to find that I am still a mummy writer, James is still an IT project manager and we are unfazed about the mortgage over our heads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moment in Time

  You are the little spoon, my hand cradled around your tummy.  Moments earlier you had mimicked my every move. Sipping at my sleepy tea, spilling it all down your pyjamas. Rubbing hand cream onto your face. Lying on me as I do my bedtime stretches. I try to breathe normally, deeply, to relax. I tentatively stretch out my legs, roll back my shoulders, nestle my head down into the pillow.  A puppy dog nesting down for the night, walking around and around until the bed feels just right. That’s you. That’s me. You shuffle a little and then your soft breathing tells that you are asleep. We have done this countless times. And I know you will grow. But right now, this feels like forever. The late-night snacks, the reluctance to sleep alone, the reliance on the breast. Dad’s grumpy startle as your little legs kick him in a tender place. We all three, tug at the duvet on the queen bed which we seem to have outgrown.  You wake briefly and crawl around singing, stroking my face, your cheek next

Youer Than You

I turned 30 this year. It was that unspoken age for me where I thought I'd feel as though I had made it. Looking back though, that real age was 24 when my biggest concerns were whether I'd nailed the front page that week and who was coming out for drinks on Friday. Life at 30, while more wonderfully fulfilling, was also more complex. I had a beautiful, intelligent child and another on the way. I was married to the man of my dreams, the guy who had been my biggest support and encouragement throughout a decade. I had spent a good few years enjoying career successes and had gone further than I had ever thought I would, and in some respects less (I wasn't Judy Bailey, not even close), but that was OK. We were still traveling. And in partnership with the bank, hubby and I owned the Auckland roof over our heads and it wasn't even leaking. I realise I have trumpeted each milestone like I've found the holy grail to life success. Hashtag winning. I haven't been so f