Skip to main content

Lurve the Cake!

"It's your birthday party today," I told my newly minted two-year-old.
This statement didn't elicit excitement about presents or friends or balloons. Nope, the words he dreamily spoke as his eyes lit up?
"Birthday cake!"
It made me smile too.

Munchkin: August soon developed a sweet tooth like his Mummy (and Daddy, to be fair!)

I once floated the idea that my quarters in heaven would consist of regular picnics on rugs, with drinks poured from fine tea sets and the devouring of many exquisite cakes.

I love cake. There's something about the fluffy simpleness of sugar, flour, butter, egg, milk and vanilla essence topped with a layer of icing sugar and more essence that makes the heart sing. And that's before you start hitting the unbeatable flavours of banana with caramel frosting or carrot cake with cream cheese. And that's not even to mention coconut with passionfruit, lemon drizzle, rosewater sponge, or dirty old chocolate mud cake.

Little Britain: Marjorie Dawes had a soft spot for cake.

I'd always be the first to counter people's claims of "that's too sweet" with "there's no such thing". It's a rare moment if you ever hear me turning down a sugary treat.

Mum might have something to do with my sweet cravings, she admits she scoffed a fair amount of lollies while I was in utero. It's likely I passed those genes onto my son. It didn't help that the Fairfax features desk kept a steady supply of Cadbury and Griffins packets throughout my final trimester. With my second pregnancy, I am equally likely to be passing on some sugary heritage. Being a stay-at-home mum, I have the added bonus/conundrum of having access to baking supplies...

But surely 'craving' is a word pregnant women conjured up to justify all the junk they wanted to consume to satiate those constant hunger pangs. Except of course if you're among the weird ones who crave such non-edibles as tyre rubber and freezer frost. That's plain inexplicable. 

In order to justify my sweetened disposition, let me take you on a little history tour. During high school I developed an unnamed, un-diagnosed bout of social nerves which basically meant I couldn't eat around people who weren't family or really good friends. Or eat before a party. Or eat at a party. Or eat when people were over. Or eat when I knew my boyfriend was coming over. Or eat if the phone rang and it was for me (I kid you not).

The immense relief that I felt when my hormones/nerves/teen angst subsided so that I could enjoy food in the company of others without feeling the need to hurl again was - exquisite. Some would say I pulled a complete 360, tucking into seconds and splurging on chocolate bars and biscuits. I owned my new nickname "Hungus" with pride. I ate it all and I stayed slim (before I hit 25 anyway).

Of course, a part of me was always a hungus and here's why. Growing up as one of five, I soon learned the true meaning of "snooze, ya lose". The last up at the breakfast table missed out on the best cereal. The last to finish their dinner missed out on another slice of garlic bread or Yorkshire Pudding. There was plenty of food to go around, but heck, if it was what everyone else wanted, then you had better get in quick. So learned to eat up and keep my eyes on my plate and everyone else's fingers. 

On top of this, Mum was a baking fiend who loved birthdays. So every year, all five children, two parents and three pets (yes, even the pets) were treated to a themed birthday cake. Every month it seemed there was a new birthday cake to be had, usually madeira with butter frosting. I still savour the smell of burning candles which reminds me of a happy birthday.

I first realised my family's customs were a tad unusual when my schoolmates noticed me eating a slice of chocolate cake with almost fluorescent orange icing at lunch. "What IS that?" they oggled. "Oh you know, just my cat's birthday cake," I shrugged. "Doesn't your cat have a birthday?"

Cat Birthday: My childhood family cat, Inky, was partial to the odd slice of chocolate cake.

This draws me to the point of this blog which is well, there isn't much point, except for my need to confess my die-hard cravings for cake in the hope that you will humour me and indulge with me lest I develop a complex. And it's only right that I finish off this piece with a well-tested recipe of mine ala Cadbury. True, it is more of a torte than a cake, (gluten free, anyone?) but this baby always goes down a treat. Enjoy.

Chocolate Almond Date Torte

Serves 8-10

Ingredients

TORTE
250g Cadbury® Dark Cooking Chocolate 
250g unblanched almonds 
250g dates, stoned 
6 egg whites 
125g caster sugar

DECORATION
Whipped cream 
Cadbury® Dark Cooking Chocolate cut into chunky pieces 
Whole or slivered almonds, toasted 
Fresh strawberries

Method
1.  Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the chocolate and almonds in a food processor and chop into chunky pieces.
Finely chop the dates and stir into the chocolate mixture.
2.  In a large bowl beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
Gradually add the caster sugar and beat well.
3.  Fold in the chocolate, almond and date mixture.
4.  Pour into a greased foil-lined 23 cm round cake pan. Bake
for 45 minutes.
5.  Open the oven door slightly to allow the torte to cool.
When cool, remove from the oven and place in the
refrigerator to chill. Do not remove the torte from the pan.
6.  To serve, spread the top of the torte with whipped cream
and decorate with chunks of milk chocolate, toasted
almonds and strawberries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moment in Time

  You are the little spoon, my hand cradled around your tummy.  Moments earlier you had mimicked my every move. Sipping at my sleepy tea, spilling it all down your pyjamas. Rubbing hand cream onto your face. Lying on me as I do my bedtime stretches. I try to breathe normally, deeply, to relax. I tentatively stretch out my legs, roll back my shoulders, nestle my head down into the pillow.  A puppy dog nesting down for the night, walking around and around until the bed feels just right. That’s you. That’s me. You shuffle a little and then your soft breathing tells that you are asleep. We have done this countless times. And I know you will grow. But right now, this feels like forever. The late-night snacks, the reluctance to sleep alone, the reliance on the breast. Dad’s grumpy startle as your little legs kick him in a tender place. We all three, tug at the duvet on the queen bed which we seem to have outgrown.  You wake briefly and crawl around singing, stroking my face, your cheek next

Crazy Idea #20

The Robinsons are restless. Beneath the calm, sleepy surface, dreams are brewing. They always draw us away from where we are, our friends, our home and launch us into the exciting. The unknown. In days gone past we would relish these dreams, pinning our hopes upon them like children. We would ride each wave and cry out as they tumbled down. We pined for city streets and new scenes, skyscrapers and aeroplanes. We yearn for greatness, to build our walls high, to extend the vineyard. But a part of me wants to cower under the covers, return to slumber and wait for all of this to blow over. Waking up, I want to find that I am still a mummy writer, James is still an IT project manager and we are unfazed about the mortgage over our heads.

Youer Than You

I turned 30 this year. It was that unspoken age for me where I thought I'd feel as though I had made it. Looking back though, that real age was 24 when my biggest concerns were whether I'd nailed the front page that week and who was coming out for drinks on Friday. Life at 30, while more wonderfully fulfilling, was also more complex. I had a beautiful, intelligent child and another on the way. I was married to the man of my dreams, the guy who had been my biggest support and encouragement throughout a decade. I had spent a good few years enjoying career successes and had gone further than I had ever thought I would, and in some respects less (I wasn't Judy Bailey, not even close), but that was OK. We were still traveling. And in partnership with the bank, hubby and I owned the Auckland roof over our heads and it wasn't even leaking. I realise I have trumpeted each milestone like I've found the holy grail to life success. Hashtag winning. I haven't been so f